Monday, May 6, 2013

Can You Give Someone an A & an F at the Same Time?


I'm not picking on Marvel here, quite the opposite actually. When I first saw that they were doing info-crawls on the bottom of the screen during episodes of Spider-Man, Avengers, etc. I was thrilled! Another example of how Marvel can push the creative envelope while educating their target demo, future members of the Merry Marvel Marching Society (M.M.M.S. for short). That is until I read my very first Marvel Universe info-crawl.

They botched it!

If you haven't yet, look at the clip above. It says that Spider-Man's 1st appeared in Amazing Fantasy #16.

So that means all these years I have been searching for the wrong comics Holy Grail (not that I can afford it, but that's neither here, nor there)? Because my answer to the, "If you could have any comic book in the world" question had always been Amazing Fantasy #15.

This error becomes even more egregious when you consider the source. The actual Marvel Entertainment Co.! Marvel is owned by Disney and this programming is on a Disney channel (Disney XD) that aims solely at a key Marvel audience and you still screw this up?  Apparently they are in need of a fact checker or 2, well I officially volunteer.

While I give The House of Ideas an A for attempting to flex some creative muscle here and slip in a Marvel Comics history lesson during their TV programming, I have to give them a resounding Fin their  execution of that task. Spider-Man's 1st appearance issue is basic, common comic book knowledge, unless of course, you happen to work for the company he was created by.

No comments:

Post a Comment