Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Best of 2006



2006 was a memorable year in comics.

DC's Infinite Crisis ended in '06 (as ironic as that may sound) and Marvel was torn apart by Civil War. These 2 events signaled the return of the company wide crossover that had been absent since the economic downturn the industry suffered a decade earlier. It's hard to believe now, but Marvel actually declared bankruptcy less than 20 years ago!

We also saw a new Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes) and a new Robin (Damian Wayne) emerge in '06. Both would amass a faithful following but the new Boy Wonder would meet his demise earlier this year to the dismay of his legion of fans. Think of him as the anti-Jason Todd.

Another huge story that crossed over into the mainstream was the unmasking of Spider-Man. Talk about a story that shook the foundation of comics! That single arc warped Spidey stories for the rest of the decade, even calling on the Devil himself to set things straight again!

When I look back on it, I did a ton of good reading 7 years ago, but what do I remember most about 2006?

The birth of my 1st child Savannah. Nothing changed my world they way she has and I suppose nothing ever will. As each year passes she still helps make me into the best father, teacher and mentor I can be for her and her baby sister. I love you Savanny, Happy Birthday!


No comments:

Post a Comment